Friday, May 23, 2008

Sweater Deconstructed

Once upon a time there was a pattern I wanted to knit but the yarn called for was, at the time, a little out of my price range for the amount I needed. In the same household there was this old sweater that was too big and not my style sitting in my closet (and had been there for a couple years...I REALLY need to clean out my closet) that turned out to be made from the type of yarn I needed for knitting that desired pattern.

What's a girl to do? Well, deconstruct and recycle the big, ugly sweater yarn to be used on an item that will get more use from me, of course. That is exactly what I set out to do. It took some time to snip the thread that had attached what amounted to a knit seam binding to the base of the sweater but finally that part was off. Next came the side seams and the arms, then the shoulders/neck area. All that was left to do then was, Rip-it! Rip-it!

The recycled yarn is a 50/50 cotton/linen blend. I can't wait to give it new life!

1 comment:

jeanius said...

i have a green sweater that needs the same treatment! Mine's a cotton ramie blend :)