Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Veggie Garden...Take 2

With the complete lack of rain and record-breaking high temps this past spring, the vegetable garden just never had a chance to do anything. Fortunately, here in Central Texas we get a second growing season and I'm planning on taking full advantage of it.

Pulled the all but dead and non-producing tomato plants as well as the dud cucumber plants. As the jalapeños weren't good and hot this spring, I'm still debating on pulling them as well. We'll see.

To help with the scorching sun and blistering heat, we attached some shade cloth over the garden. Makes walking, or rather crawling, in to do/get things a little challenging but, if it helps (which it seams to be doing) I don't care. Don't have as much a variety of produce as I did for the spring planting but hoping what we do have will come up strong and produce much. I'm itching to do some canning!

Okra (planted from seed in spring) is doing well and producing. No one in our family eats okra but my dad and a friend both like it so I decided to give it a shot.
Green beans (transplants from my boss' garden) are finally starting to grow. They had a minor setback when a rabbit feasted on them a few times eating the plant almost to the ground. It has some flowers though now so hopefully I'll get to have some beans soon!
2 different types of Climbing Spinach - both are still pretty small but have been looking better since the sun shade cloth went up. We'll see how they turn out.
Chili Pequin plant needs to be transplanted. It has been getting crowed by the jalepeños and okra but is doing well.
Jalepeños may or may not be pulled and new ones planted. They just aren't as hot as we like them.
Poblano Pepper is producing but they are little peppers. I should have planted more of these as I've yet to have enough at any time to make my most yummy Creamy Poblano Soup.
Tomato plant babies in a couple of heat loving varieties including "Solar Fire" are off to a strong start. I don't know how well they will can but right now, I'll just be tickled to have some maters. I'll attempt the heirlooms and such again next spring.
Herbs continue growing strong. The herbs I'm currently growing include: Mediterranean Oregano, Lemon Balm, Garlic Chives, Garlic, Purple Ruffle Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Sweet Basil, Catnip, Dill, Spearmint, and Sage.

I got some swiss chard babies the other day and those will go into the ground. I'm also going to try some more spinach and cucumber seeds as well.

Anyway, that what's growing in the veggie garden right now. Happy gardening!

1 comment:

ginny said...

Wow, Heather! I had no idea you were such a gardener, but I should have since almost anytime I hear anything about any of your family it involves them being able to do something!

No garden here, well does the squash that the previous owners planted and came back but was eaten by something count?!

I'll be interested in seeing your updates on your garden. Will your kids eat veggies?