Monday, February 4, 2008

In Honor of the Smurfs... Adventures in Dyeing & Felting

Remember the "Smurfs"? Well, for a few hours recently, I was Smurfette when I forgot to wear gloves to dye some yarn. Fortunately, the blue has washed/faded away and I'm back to normal.

The Magic Yarn Ball Swap on Ravelry seemed like a good excuse to try some new knitting adventures, namely dying and felting yarn. As one of my "goodies" to be hidden the "magic yarn ball" I decided to make a felted needle case and figured out a way to do so entirely from my stash. I'd inherited some fisherman's wool that I dyed with Kool-aid (2 Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonades). Unfortunately, my pix of the dyed yarn didn't turn out as vivid as the aqua yarn (which, luckily for me, was the color I was going for). Once my hand-dyed yarn was knit, it was time to try my luck at felting....that was kind-of fun. I should have felted the item a little more as once I was done with the case, I could still see some of the stitches, but... I'm pleased for my first attempt. Some ribbon to close the case and my swap partner's initial and we were done!
Wrapped this, along with a bunch of other goodies, in the yummy Ranco yarn I got for her and off it shipped!

No comments: